Address

You can visit the Jiq Jaq Gallery at 112 Heath Street, Hampstead, London. NW3 1DR

Tuesday 3 April 2007

The Frustrations of a Painter

Oh, life as a full time painter must be grand, you think. But even the most exciting career paths have their frustrations. I can promise you that.
.
I've started on three massive canvasses, measuring 72 inches in height and 54 in width. I can reach only so high and then must place them on the floor to finish the top sections.
.
The problem with large works is time. By saying time, I mean never having enough of it.
.
It means that one day I will be controlled by a certain mood. That mood will take hold of my actions and, as if the paintings were painting themselves, the mood will display itself in the work. The next day, when I reflect on my progress, my mood has most likely changed and I am unhappy with the last day's results.
.
Today, once again, the canvasses have changed. Perhaps for the better, perhaps for the worst. I can't say for sure just yet.
.
I scraped back number one, and have now over-painted it in a beige colour as I felt it was becoming too pink. Tomorrow I must sand down the surface and re-draw.
.
As a rule, I generally do not draw on canvasses, just go straight to the painting, but that is a dangerous move on such large canvasses. It would be easy to lose my way in the structure of the painting without a guide.
.
It is in my nature to let a work reveal itself, so to speak, rather than start with a pre-conceived idea. This, however, is not quite happening with such large works and it means I have to introduce some discipline into my approach. I will have to commit early on to an idea.
.
There are always other frustrations, of course, namely countless phone calls. I really need to be able to fully focus on these works to complete them as they will be featured on the front page of our new catalogue, which is in progress as I write.
.
I have delivered my painting Girl with Pink Obi to a woman who has many very good works in her home. It looks wonderful. She is testing it out before she commits to purchasing as many buyers understandably like to do.
.
I may sell her my oil on paper, Girl with Pink Lotus, which she is also interested in. My plan was originally to make prints of it first, but as they are a bother to do and would take ages to produce, it doesn't seem sensible to hold it back. It made me realise that some other oils on paper may be better just to frame and sell now as well. I have held back on selling them in the past, but there is no point in letting them sit in a drawer.
.
It is good to hear from Olivia that Sunday was a very busy day in the gallery and some good prospective customers dropped in. I'd like to welcome you to stop by as well, even if it is just for a browse. Jiq Jaq at 112 Heath Street in Hampstead is where my work is on display, and as the weather turns to Spring, it is in a perfect location to continue on a stroll up to Hampstead Heath.
.
I have also just found out that Graffiti Magazine is now available to download at http://www.graffitimagazine.co.uk/forthcoming.htm. There is a short article on me inside as well as an advertisement for our gallery.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for sharing your blog. It actually made me feel a bit better in the sense I am not alone in my feelings and frustrations! I only paint when I have a stolen moment or two.( three children young running around me) And usually, of late , war related. Although I sense a shift for me to something more lighter. I usually let a painting take me on its journey, lightly sketching on the canvas. But it rarely ends up as it begins. I definately paints as my mood is reflected. Today I feel a Little glum. Might be the lack of sleep hehe.. Your work is so lovely! refreshing to look at. I need to do something a bit more cheerier. hehe
Take care!!

Karen xo

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=97029929

Anonymous said...

I am actually a full-time painter, too! I usually paint for four hours in the morning and take the rest of the day off - its amazing how much energy can be spent on just a very small group of details - I'd like to do some bigger ones too but I'm still working up to it - plus I only have so much room in my studio - haha -anyway I look forward to reading your blog and commiserate a little before I get working on my own paintings - I probably won't get anything done today, unfortunately, because I need to catch up on sleep! Peace, Devin.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=66152851

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I was able to look at your page, and I am deeply humbled and inspired by your art. Your work is simply beautiful!

All the best to you!

Morgan

Julia said...

MoYou are working really big! Sending you some extra energy for those long studio hours! Cheers, Julia

Anonymous said...

Jaq:
I tried to post to your blog, i dont know if it went through but I know several artists who work on large canvases who use sacfolding to reach the upper parts of the painting instead of laying the canvas on the floor.
here is one from home depot
Gorilla Ladders
4 Ft. Steel Scaffold

Model SC-4-T

Price: $99.00/ea
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&pos=n08&MID=9876&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes&N=2984+4370&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp

Kate
www.myspace.com/kernmundie)

Welcome to the Jiq Jaq blog. We would love to hear from you - comments, questions, greetings, etc.!